Thursday, January 7, 2010

Travel Fun

Ok! So, welcome to my new monkeyblog!
I created this little page to write all about my travels and experiences in Costa Rica. I will do my best to update regularly, and I expect you all to post on the site so I can feel the lurve while I am away.

Some background information for those of my fans who don't know the whole story. I am attending U of C, working on a primatology degree, and am hoping that I get accepted to vet school this year. I will be working as a field assistant for a PHD student from Jan/10 - June/10. We will be gathering data on capuchin monkey movement (chasing after monkeys in the jungle).

So here I am - on my way! I left Calgary at 7am this morning and am now sitting in the Houston airport on a 5-hour layover. The first flight went relatively well. I sat beside a cute old couple that were traveling to Cancun. They were friendly and chatty and the old lady offered me her cheerios. Unfortunately, a 6 year old boy sat behind me and kicked my seat for the first hour of the flight. (anybody who has gone to a movie with me knows that kicking my seat is good way to get stabbed). After I couldn't take it anymore I politely asked the dad to get his kid to stop. I think he may have stuffed the kid into the overhead compartment or something because the kicking promptly stopped and when we were leaving the plane, the boy was nowhere to be seen. whatevs.

The weather in Houston is about 10 degrees right now. Definitely better than the minus 30 we had in Calgary this morning, but still kind of cool. This is good. It is also good that I will arrive in Liberia at about 8pm - after the sun has set. This way I can ease into the heat and hopefully won't have too much of a shock to my system.

Here are some of my Houston airport observations thus far.
- This place is frakken huge. It took me 15 minutes to explore my section of the terminal. I would go explore other sections, but this airport seems to consist entirely of burger eateries.
- Canada has a much better selection of energy drinks. I couldn't find any of my usual brands and had to settle for a Starbucks iced tea. I feel sleepeh.
- There are these crazy BestBuy vending machines all over the place. They sell things like nintendo DSi's and DVD players. weird!
- When it comes to american money, I am retarded. I am not used to using money that is all the same color (and yes, I know that my American friends are probably thinking "just look at the numbers, Day. duh.").


Ok that's it!! I'll post more when I can!
*kisses*
Day

8 comments:

  1. I hope you have a great trip. Love you a million, and you better talk to me as much as you can!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bookmarked! The blog looks fun, I'll be keeping track of what you are up to, so keep writing!

    BTW, this is Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zomfg!1!! Monkeys can blog?!??
    I'm so there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG i love the pic!!! I miss you already but i hope you have tons of fun. Remember i wanna see BALLS!!!
    Love ya Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the coolest chic I know! Have fun and can't wait to read your posts. In the meantime i have issued an amber alert for the kid on the plane. Will make sure to find him in time to place him on your flight home in June!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BestBuy vending machines? Why don't we have them here?? Isn't the Houston airport eerie? All of those intersections with exactly the same stores, repeating. It's like being stuck in some weird infinity loop.

    The last time I was in the Houston airport, I watched a bird flying around. He lived in the fake ficus trees and ate the crumbs of the Starbucks pastries that people left behind.

    Grossest part of the Houston airport? It's name - the George Bush Intercontinental Airport.

    I'm so excited that you made it down safely and that you're blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Nathan and Inc: <3 and <3

    @ Jeff: I didn't know you blogged! Im gonna blog stalk you now. muahaha.

    @ Joyce: balls are on the way. don't you worry. glad you like the photo too!

    @ Una: I totally agree with you on the name.

    ReplyDelete