Saturday, February 5, 2011

water

Ever since I have moved into my dorm, there has been a leaky pipe in the main hallway a couple of apartments down from my door. A large kitchen garbage can has been set up to catch the water that is constantly dripping. It fills up quite quickly as it is quite a powerful leak. Yesterday, we received a notification that the water for the building would be turned off for much of the afternoon, so that workers could repair it. They apologized for the inconvenience, but assured us that the water would be back by 1pm. No big deal, I figured. I would be in class for much of the afternoon.

At 5pm after class, I returned to the dorm. There were three workers in the hall and they had completely destroyed the whole area. Water and pieces of ceiling were everywhere. By 8pm, the workers were gone, the ceiling was still a disaster, and the water was still not working. I made arrangements to shower at a friend's dorm before bed and reminded myself that while it was inconvenient to have no water, at least the leak would be fixed very shortly. Thankfully, by about 10pm, the water had come back on. I showered and went to sleep. This morning when I went to get my morning coffee, I walked past the spot where the leak was.. and couldn't help but notice that the garbage can was back and the leak was worse than ever. I am beginning to think that when things are "fixed" in the caribbean, they actually get broken much worse before the problem is actually resolved. I expect the water to be taken away at least 2 more times before the issue is resolved for real. awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Well, thank God you can "go with the flow" ( as the saying goes).

    ReplyDelete