Friday, April 22, 2011

7 Sisters

So today was a fantastic day! About 20 of my classmates and I met up at 11am, and had 2 vans pick us up and take us to the "7 Sisters" waterfalls for the afternoon. It's called 7 Sisters because it has a series of 7 waterfalls all in a row - and pools for swimming at the bottom. They are near the Grand Etang National Park... about a 30 minute drive away, up in the mountainy part of the island.

When we got to the site, there was a half hour hike to get to the falls. First, we walked through some beautiful farmland and then down a huge muddy hill through the trees. It was very steep, and very lush, and very fun. everybody was super excited and having a great time. When we got to the falls, a bunch of us sat around for a while near the bottom of the largest waterfall and watched some other students who we didn't know jump off. It looked to be at least 2 stories high. Pretty scary stuff.

A couple of my friends got so excited to jump that they raced up the little path to the top of the falls. I was left behind because I was too slow, so I decided to wait at the bottom and get some videos of them jumping when they came down. I waited around, chatted with the girls in the sun, and just took in the amazing scenery. After everybody had jumped and swam back to shore (I got some great HD video with my sweet camera), we learned that the hike to the top of the falls was steep and windy, and once you decided to jump the falls, you couldn't change your mind because the rocky walls of the river were way too steep to get back to the path down. This made it extra scary, since the final waterfall was really really high. No chickening out at the last minute.

Two of the first group of jumpers had so much fun that they wanted to go again... and even though it looked scary, I knew I would be angry with myself if I didn't do it. It total, 6 of us decided to make the climb to the top that second time: my favorite friend - a fearless Texan, a hilarious girl from New Jersey, a young and sweet British girl, a wicked British guy who I really enjoy talking to, and a guy from South Africa who tells great stories. I really like all of them and couldn't have asked for a better bunch of people to make such a cool memory with.

Before we made the climb, we had to strip down to our swimming suits and bare feet. Then we had to hike up a tiny muddy path to the top of the falls. On parts of the path, we were literally climbing up rocks and holding on to roots to keep from falling, on other parts, the mud came up to our shins and squished between our toes as we walked. We laughed and joked and had a great time. When we got to the top of the hill, we were really hot and the water looked sooo refreshing.

There were 5 falls that we jumped in total. To get to the first one, we had to climb on a bunch of rocks and shimmy across a little ledge to get to the "safe" jumping spot. This sounds pretty scary, but we had a local guide who was making the jumps with us. He told us exactly where to step and what to hold on to so that we didn't slip, he also called us his "soldiers" while he gave us instructions. hehe.

This first waterfall was the scariest one for me. After getting to the safe spot, we had to crawl over a fallen log, and then jump off of a small cliff, probably about 10 feet up. The guide informed us that the trick to doing this jump safely was to jump "out" from the ledge in order to miss the rocks near the bottom. We also had to tuck our feet in because it wasn't that deep. After watching three others jump, it was my turn. I remembered to do what the guide said, and I made a perfect jump! I felt the biggest rush and couldn't wait for more. After the first jump, the falls became a series of pools and rivers, with high rocky walls on either side. It was beautiful and I wish I could have brought my camera without destroying it.

The second jump was a piece of cake after the first one. We had to climb over a big round rock with water rushing over it, and then leap right into the middle of the pool below. We all cheered for each other as we jumped, and then swam around in the pool below.

After the second jump, we had to make our way down a narrow rocky passage with the water rushing through. The trick for this part was to keep a hand on each side of the rock wall, and step very carefully. The rocks weren't slippery at all, but as soon as I picked up a foot, the current of the rushing water (which was only about shin deep) would try to pull it. The guide made sure that we were all using proper footing, and at the bottom of the rocky passage we had another fall to jump. For this one, we had to jump in a sort of seated position because the water was only 4 feet deep. The jump was only about 4 feet though, so it was a piece of cake.

After that came the big jump. This one wasn't too scary because the water below was so deep, there was NO way you could hit the bottom. As long as you took a big leap off the top, you were golden. The scary part was looking down. It looked sooo much higher from the top. I was the third person to go, and instead of looking down and hesitating, I just decided to go quickly and get it over with. I leaped out, and it felt like I was falling forever! I splashed into the water, and everybody cheered for me. Then, after fixing the largest wedgie of my life, I swam to the edge and watched the others. Here is a photo that a friend took right before I jumped. :) After the big jump, there was one more tiny jump into the large swimming hole at the bottom. We leaped into the water, swam for a bit, and then had some snacks while we dried off.

I had so much fun and am SO glad I decided to go. My classmates and I made a pact to come back to the falls once each semester. I can't wait to go again.

After the jumping, we hung out in the sun for a while and then made the hike back up to the busses. I nearly fell asleep on the drive home, I was so tired from all the adventures of the day.

Tomorrow should bring more fun. At 8am I am meeting up with some girls in my class to go whale watching. The Exotics and Wildlife Club is hosting the event. I REALLY hope we get to see whales and dolphins. If we do, I will be able to cross one thing off my "things to do before I die" list. So, keep your fingers crossed for me. After the whale watch, there is a hash. I will photograph it all.

On Sunday, I am working a shift at the small animal hospital on campus. It is my first shift and I always have jitters on the first day at a new "job" but it is a great opportunity to learn and practice my clinical skills. I hope it goes well.

Anyway, that's all for now. i'll post 7 Sisters photos in the next couple days.
goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment